Home

Latest

Archive

Authors

Index

Site map

News

Creatures

Rules

Deities

Gśa

Old Articles Archive

Other Interest

Adventures

Guest Articles

RuneQuest

RPG, D&D Library
Rate this site between one and five stars, where five stars is an absolute "Must See" web site that no one should miss and one star is a "Don't bother."
Once per day only!


All games

Upcomming games

Ended games

Scores
Periodic Random Thoughts
( 02.01.2014 )
Gygax Magazine Issue 3 Out
( 18.12.2013 )
The Tomb of Dead or Retired Characters.
( 04.06.2013 )
Dragontales Magazine
( 24.12.2012 )
The Lost Art of Reading From Paper
( 13.12.2012 )
Recommended Reading List
( 19.06.2012 )
RuneQuest 6th Edition
( 19.06.2012 )
Cats and Writers
( 12.05.2012 )
Grunts! by Mary Gentle
( 27.04.2012 )
Orc Blog Introductionary Posting
( 21.04.2012 )

Fantasy Magazine Links

Non Games Links

Old and Potentially Dead Links

Orc Links

Other Games Related Links

Rune Quest Links
0

RuneQuest - Session played via e-mail


Top level Old Articles Archive


G∆A
As I was unable to make one session of our side campaign, Tony came up with the idea of continuing the sessin via e-mail until I caught up with the party or died :-)

*********************************
Note to readers: As this session was played via e-mail it is meant to be read from the bottom up.
*********************************
Tony
Nah, loincloth just tied with some rope. Them other two went in wit some leather armour, which had metal buckles. You catch up with them. Looking over your shoulder, you check the beasts stop and worry over your sword etc.

Another few river crossings lose them, although you still keep a sharp lookout.

As luck would have it, the canoe is not there, although there is a note scratched on a clay tablet - Bilge Rat can read and claims the Morini and Asra had already taken the canoe, you will have to make your way on foot.


and thatís it, really, basically where the others were.

Now, task - Copy and past this entire mail into a doc, take out all the shite and spell check etc and we can put on the site:)

One last thing. Now you have a bit of time, that tome you picked up, its covers appear to be of bone and the clasps aren't bronze, they of a weird material you have never seen, maybe a kind of resin. Scroll case and tome given all the beating they took, appear to have weathered the journey/flight quite well.

________________________________________
Garett
##Player note - I was wondering about that sword.

Erm - the loincloth I had on didn't have a clasp on or such did it?

I chuck the sword and coins as far as I can off the path we following and then turn and bolt after Skwib and Bilge Rat....

________________________________________
Tony
They hear you and turn. When they recognise you, they start shouting and gesticulating. You note that they are naked. As you get closer, their words become clear: "Throw away your weapons and anything that is metal, its metal that attracts the beasts!"

They also note the beast approaching far off and turn and start running. The terrain here looks a bit familiar, you recognise certain markers that Morini pointed out and know you are near the pick up point.

________________________________________
Garett
Ja nee - I gooi a fast jog there. I check the trial is still shining from the water where they been traipsing and disturbing the ground. I call out to them...

"Hail fellow cowards!!!" shouts Turf. "Not to worry - better live cowards than dead hero's in this mire. What have you done with the prisoner?"

________________________________________
Tony
The prints are pretty fresh. I take it you give it the berries? If so, after about an hour of semi running and jumping over puddles etc, you site them, it is verily Skwib and Bilge rat. By now them beasts are on your trail again, although some deft river crossing has given you a spot of a lead.

________________________________________
Garett
aaah - by bear I thought you meant the animal as in Grizzly bear and not kaalvoet.....

nee - eggsalad - I move along the trail quite sharpish - I wanna find out what's been happening and why those monstrosities were after me

________________________________________
Tony
They human, from the stride etc it is a reasonable guess that its your tow buds you have been trying to catch up with...

________________________________________
Garett
Oh great.......do I get any indication of the animal's size by the tracks?

________________________________________
Tony
Works for a bit until you reach the next set of fens where the kindling kinda runs out. You also come across the trail again, this time the feet are bear, not sandal prints.

________________________________________
Garett
hmmmmmm - I don't skeem they suddenly become very orc-loving. The smoke prolly confused them a wee bit. I start looking around for tracks - I skeem they would still be reasonably clear. Trying not to let the firebrand go out either, adding a handful of grass every now and then...
________________________________________
Tony
Nah, not really, does mean that you make sufficient noise to bring them in investigation.

They still pretty slow and wander a bit randomly in the smoke. As you do a runner, you notice the one of them takes off in another direction. Your eyes follow it and you see someone about 100 meters away, raising a bow at you. Before he can fire, the beast hits him hard. Its two sets of jaws rip the punter to pieces in the space of seconds. What it does next is odd, it does not seem to be devouring the newly deceased, but rips the mail shirt from him and throws it around, worrying it like a dog would a rabbit it had caught.

________________________________________
Garett
I roll 77 / 48 which basically means I may as well have started a bloody rain dance...........

________________________________________
Tony

Make a sneak roll x 2
________________________________________
Garett
I'll try and pick up some kindling while moving away from them as quietly as possible. I'll try to find the tracks again later .....

________________________________________
Tony
When you get out, you note that the smoke appears to be pouring through the cracks in the rock, bit of a weird effect that seems to have confused the beasties. There definitely three skulking around, but they have not noted you, as yet. You can either gather some kindling (turn to 354), make a run for it (turn to 213) or whip out your sword and fall on the beasts (turn to 102)

________________________________________
Garett
I check if I can sneak out a bit and find some more kindling or such to keep the fire going.....

________________________________________
Tony
Smoke is now really starting to sting your lungs etc, from what you can see it is also driving the beasties away somewhat.

________________________________________
Garett
I wonder it these beasties be afraid of fire? I sneak closer to the opening and wait for the beastie to come nearer....
________________________________________
Tony
Reckon you dinnae have a firemaker and tinder (would have left it at the ruined camp. There plenty debris, twigs, leafs etc and with some effort you can locate sufficient dried out root etc to rub sticks together. Soon you have a lekker wee blaze going. Although the kindling was dry, most of the leaves are moist from nearby ground water and decay, so produce quite a bit of smoke in a short time, cough cough, hack hack.

________________________________________
Garett
I check around if there's anything a North Ice orc can make fire with....
________________________________________
Tony
Good thing you do, you fine two other places where you can definitely get through, but each time, as you approach, a beast arrives and sniffs at the entrance.

________________________________________
Garett
I check these places out carefully. I don't want to squeeze halfway out and find something on the outside that wants me as lunch...


________________________________________
Tony
No side passages or anything special inside. Careful searching does reveal that some time back, possible years, someone made a fire here, maybe camping over or such. The beasts bay and snarl and grunt outside all night. They try to dislodge the boulders for a bit, but give up after a while.

The next morning, with fresh light filtering through the cracks, you are able to find one or tow other places where you may be able to squeeze out.

________________________________________
Garett
Ja nee - I figured pretty much it would be them. No one else would be up here without a damn good reason. I try to explore around a bit inside to check if there are side-passages or a different way out etc. Either way I take my time while those things are snuffling around topside.
________________________________________
Tony
Did you ever watch Conan the Barbarian. Well, if you didn't, you slope up the rocks and find a split wide enough to squeeze through. After a bit of a struggle (beasts snorting and howl-grunting at base) you suddenly fall into a wider crack and hit ground, a ways down. Soft and muddy, but otherwise solid. Takes A WHILE FOR EYES TO ACCUSTOM, BUT AFTER A BIT AND WITH NORTHICE ORC dark-sense semi stuff, you make out that you actually in a pretty wide cave, kind of like the rocks outside (+- 20 meters across)stacked together at top and more hollow beneath).



You can rest up as best you can, constant baying and snuffling outside. By what you judge is morning there are three beasts outside (you can hear them)..

While you rested, I reckon you seemed pretty hard re ekes dropping weapons etc and you pretty much know it must have been some of your Chinas, through their armour etc.

________________________________________
Garett
That means there's water somewhere. If there's water there may be a surface entrance.....I'd smaak to get some food in my stomach if I can get to the fig trees. Do I need to make a climb / plant lore roll to get there / check if they edible?

I'll grab what coin I can and the knife - it isn't going to add much to the weight and I might need them to buy some food if I don't catch up with the humans soon.

________________________________________
Tony
Small caves a no no, but thinking that way, you do spot a bit of a koppie, some massive boulders thrusting from the ground, with wild fig trees growing on top, stretching their roots down to the soil below. While searching you also pick yup the other humans trail and come across more gear, this time a bunch of scattered coins and a copper knife.

________________________________________
Garett
I roll 48/87 [29*3] for the track roll. I'm still figuring that they smell something to do with the scrolls and tomes I'm carrying but I'm still not letting them go. Still - I cover my tracks in what way I can. I start looking for somewhere to rest up and be safe from the beastie boys at the same time. Small caves with small entrances would be a welcome site or very big trees.....

________________________________________
Tony
You can disguise your tracks as you see fit, many ways to do it (just make a track x 3 roll). Can say its not gonna help, they not following your trail per se.

The new beast is slowly following you on your adjusted course, its getting late, you been busy most of the day and your Fatigue is way down by now, the first beast also shows its ugly snoz and teams up with the new one.

________________________________________
Garett
I make sharpish to change my line and see if I can duck around and make the beast change it's line and see if I can confuse it a bit. Given that it's working on smell is there any point in making a track roll to check if I can disguise my tracks?
________________________________________
Tony
No grub or such, just bits of weaponry and clothing. What you do note is that when you grab a sword, the beast ahead suddenly raises its head and sniffs the air, before starting in your direction. You are now on more solid land, although the odd puddle and small stream crosses around, it looks like you are pretty far from any river or lake.

________________________________________
Garett
K....I reckon speed is still my greatest ally here so I pick up a sword at least but not much else. Is there any food or such lying around? I'm thinking not so but if there is I pick it up and have some nosh on the run. Checking the other beast ahead I try and skirt around and see if I can come out on the other side of the beast and look for the trail again.



________________________________________
Tony
Well you loose site of the beast for a while, but on crossing a raised embankment, see it some distance behind, What you also see is another one (possibly one of the ones that was following the others) some ways ahead. It appears to be lurking about checking summat on the ground.

What you also start coming across is bits and pieces of gear, a dagger here, a sword there, a leather greave etc.

________________________________________
Garett
I seem it's onto the scent of the scrolls and tome that I'm carrying. That alone tells me that it's worth something to someone so best I keep hold of it until I figure out who wants it for what.

Yup - I make like a tracking hound and take off after the tracks, they obviously aren't too old so I don't reckon it will be too long before I catch them - assuming nothing else happens ;)

________________________________________
Tony
You figure that it may be sensing summat on you other than your scent. Having rolled in mud and crossed water etc, you know that any other short sighted beast (remember how it sniffed the air, even when you were in pain sight) should have lost you by now.

the beast does appear to be somewhat nervous of deep water, so by doing a spot of swimming etc you get away from it with relative ease, for now. But it is always there at a distance., kinda looking for a way around.

When you get to roughly where the okes were, its pretty easy to find their trail. You gonna follow it?

________________________________________
Garett
Good start. I roll a 16/29 for the track roll. Only just miss the sneak roll with a 28/24 so I reckon the beast can still smell me a bit.....

________________________________________
Tony
Reckon you must make a tracking roll, to see how this thing is managing to follow you over water etc. Make a sneak roll as well, to see if you can mebbe try loose it for a bit. The daemon thingie on the island that appeared eyes you for a bit, but makes no move to leave the island.

________________________________________
Garett
Ja nee - when you are being chased by double-headed pig-wolf-bull thing measuring 5m at the shoulder it does lank for your adrenalin. I make for roughly the point where I see the other ducking. I should be able to pick up a trail since they not being too careful.

________________________________________
Tony
its hard going, slogging through knee deep mud etc, loose mucho fatigue points, but you are an orc, so I assume you gnash your teeth and push on? When you catch glimpse of the two again, they are fleeing verily across some more stable terrain. They also appear to be chucking any gear they have with them as they flee.....


The beast is getting closer, you imagine you can feel its hot breath on the back of your neck.....

________________________________________
Garett
too far to swim - my not such a good swimmer.

shit - I start making in the same direction, i.e. away from the creature towards the land on the opposite "shore" to see if I can skirt round a bit..
________________________________________
Tony
Sorry for holdup today, been dike busy!

Anyway......

No can do with others, they appear to be diving into water on far side of wee island and swimming away from you. To catch them you would either have to swim to them (about 300 meters) or skirt round (a few kays). Remember the daemon type item is on the island.

While scoping the odds and heading away from monsters, you note that a man appears to have arrived on the island, weird as he wasn't there a few minutes back. Anyway, he/she/it parks around for a bit before pointing in the direction in which you are skulking. The beast following you immediately corrects its path and begins to lope through the shallows towards you.....






________________________________________
Garett
I figure that the best chance I have for survival is to hook up with them human shapes and pool what little resources we have. I start making for the humans I don't suppose there's an awful lot we can do to keep out of sight in the open water but at least there's a wee bit of space between myself and the monsters.

________________________________________
Tony
More like wading. Once ashore, you are horrified to hear another set of them howls, apparently coming for a ways ahead of you. Further up the latest embankment, you realise that the large mass of water stretches almost all around. You see an island some distance off with smoke from a fire coming from it,. You also make out the shapes of two humans quickly scarpering from what appears to be some sort of daemon on the island. Across the expanse of water, you witness tow more of them beasts on another embankment, slavering and pawing at the water. the one chasing you appears to be taking some strain with the tree, but for how long.......


________________________________________
Garett
Har. I slide the log off the sandbar and into the water. So now I'm lying on the log and paddling towards the opposite shore. Fast.
________________________________________
Tony
Soon enough you see the beast approaching down the bank. It also finds the sandbar and starts taking some tentative steps across. You hear its snort of recognition as it picks up your scent again.

________________________________________
Garett
Sweet - I need to rest up a bit anywayz. I make for the sandbar and lie down on the sand. I keep the log with me - I may need it to get back to the other side of the river. I'm not missioning back to where I came from if don't absolutely have to.

________________________________________
Tony
After floundering a spot you reach the log. The floundering ahs however caused you to drop your sword. You are wet and bedraggled. To make matters worse, the heavens open and it starts to pish down.

On the bright side, the beast hesitates at the bank and seems remiss to enter the water. It parks off for a bit before starting to stalk along the bank, in the same direction as you. You can float and rest a bit, gain a few fatigue points etc before you note the river seems to be slowing into a bit of an open expanse. There appears to be a sandbar ahead.

________________________________________
Garett
I roll 48 against the needed 36. :(
________________________________________
Tony
Ja you can wade a bit, need to make a swim x 3 roll though

________________________________________
Garett
I try to wade out to the log. If it's too deep for wading I could try my hand at swimming. A slow flowing river may be easier to swim in.... :-)
________________________________________
Tony
Itís a broad, slow flowing river. No transport per se but there is a dead tree idling down the middle. Its about 20 meters across.

________________________________________
Garett
I bolt for the water's edge [maintaining direction] and see if there is any means of transport off the island
________________________________________
Tony
Okki dokki. It charges right over you. You leap up and head off in a roughly south westerly direction. Looking over your shoulder, you see that it had turned and is now snuffling where you were. The current terrain is relatively stable, you appear to be on one of the rare islands.

You hear another howl and when you check, you see the beats is now following you ate a rapid pace, although it still has both its snouts to the ground, apparently following your scent.

________________________________________
Garett
I roll 40 against 60 which means I make the roll.

________________________________________
Tony
Make a DEX x 5 roll.

________________________________________
Garett
I don't have much choice here. Given it's size, I make to duck under it and scarper in the opposite direction...
________________________________________
Tony
It bellows and charges for you. Its roughly five meters away.

________________________________________
Garett
OK four good - well better than two anyway. These supernatural creatures can probably see through rock - they look like they straight from hell. Hmmmm - no way's I'm going to dodge the thing if I try so I try talking to it.

"What seek you in these lands?" I ask.
________________________________________
Tony
Four at the moment. It gives one of them chilling, howl/snorts and glares right at you, as if the bushes weren't there. Looks like it is bunching its muscles to pounce

________________________________________
Garett
No ways am I fighting this thing with a dagger and alone. Erm - is it on 2 legs or four?

________________________________________
Tony
There is a snuffling which appears to be getting closer. Through the bushes, you make out a diabolically nasty looking beast. It looks like someone has ripped apart a bull, pack of wolves and a few pigs and then pieced bits of them into one creature. It has two mostly wolf like heads, sporting boar like tusks. Its body is mostly bull like, but with a pinkish pigs skin. It stands about 5 meters at the shoulder. Its moving slowly towards you. You catch a glint of its red burning eyes and they send a chill of the supernatural fear up your spine.

________________________________________
Garett
Schweet - it's a pain in the ar$3 firing up Photoshop every time :-) Killer idea. It helps if you pretty much live out of your inbox like I / we do.

sheeeeeet - not that it will help much but very quietly I place dagger in hand and freeze for a moment or three to see if it will go away by itself....

________________________________________
Tony
Dude, you dinner have to show me roll, I trust you. Reckon lets keep the snot trail of this mail, we can then do a spell check and cleanup and post on da site as an example to others.....

You are about to step through some head high scrub when you hear that same kind a bull like snort, seems right on top of you.

________________________________________
Garett
Ja - I keep all my char sheets.

I slow down a bit as I realise I get that familiar feeling at the back of my neck that tells me I might not be alone....

________________________________________
Tony
Not to worry, the tracks are easy enough to keep track of (ha ha). Seriass though, please keep some sort of score of checks you made so as to update your proper char sheet (Which reminds me, last session, garyth couldnae find yours, do you have it?)

You are quite right, the tracks are engrossing and with the reeds and scrub in this part of the fens, you cannae see much, make a listen roll.

________________________________________
Garett
##I make the track*2 roll.

Unfortunately I'm paying so much attention to checking the tracks, I'm not paying attention to anything else just about.

##Player note: A fumble yes? [ed - at this point I had rolled 96 I think]

________________________________________
Tony
The tracks follow the river a bit before heading inland and crossing a network of streams. Make a tracking x 2 roll to see if you can still follow them. also, while you at it, make a scan roll.

________________________________________
Garett
Hehehe - so ignore second part of last mail then.

It's a bit difficult to make out the tracks in the slush. I'll mission south-west. I figure the party would keep close to the stream.....


________________________________________
Tony
So do you follow either set or just mosey by yourself.

________________________________________
Garett
Ja - cool. Bit late now but anywayz....:-)
________________________________________
Tony
Yip, a serious amount of rolling round in mud etc but without much incident (unless you scared of bugs?) anyways, you find a set of tracks ducking southwest and bit down the stream, another set ducking south east.

BTW, I am ducking home now so we can carry on Tue?

________________________________________
Garett
Jar - tent / canvas / bedroll. It checks like the party has been caught a bit it seems. That sound ahead spells trouble and I'm willing to bet a penny that the rest of the party are involved in it somehow so best I make a move to get over. Checks like missioning through the reeds and coming down to the river has helped me a bit. I make the track roll.

________________________________________
Tony
Tents? I don't seem to recall you having these things. But you can fashion summat out the remains of a blanket/bedroll. Weapons wise, you still have what you swarreyed with, no loss there. Nothing much else to find, you had been traveling light.

Following the tracks, you do come across a ripped apart pack and her and there, some items of what appear to have been womanís clothes.

You follow the tracks for a while before they reach another river where they apparently go in. The larger tracks shuffle around there for a bit before also disappearing. Its about this time you hear ahead, some distance by the sounds of things, a bone curdling combination of, a low, bull like snort and wolfs howl.

If you cross the river and try pick up the trail, make a track roll. Else choom whets what

________________________________________
Garett
I clean as much of the mud off the tome as I can without causing any damage while missioning around the camp for a few minutes squizzing for anything small - perhaps key-like. There doesn't seem to be much else going on here anyway so I fashion a sling from the remains of the tent[s] and pack the tome and scroll case. I skeem they the better part of a day ahead so I'd best get a move one. Follows the tracks south...
________________________________________
Tony
You freeze. The hissing continues for a bit and then stops. A few seconds later you feel a slithering sensation over your arm as a long, black and red banded snake slithers across it and disappears into the water, soon to be lost in the reeds.

You are unable to really relax but do rest up sufficiently to continue at about half fatigue when the false dawn arrives. By slinking through the reeds, and eventually circling around, you are eventually able to find your base camp. It has been pillaged, what gear you left there is either missing, scattered or broken. What looks like a large, to you unknown, beast, or possible two, have left their marks and rank stench upon the ground, their tracks lead away, flowing four sets of human tracks, heading south.

Btw, you are covered in sticky mud and non a few leeches. On the up side, the mosquitoes don't appear to be biting as much as previously. The scroll case appears to have survived pretty well, but the tome, although still clasped shut, has clearly had the worst of the water and mud, from the outside at least. Close inspection reveals that the bronze clasp holding it shut contains a lock of sorts.

________________________________________
Garett
O geeeez. I freeze. Listening for other sounds cos I remember Asra made hissing sounds but I don't skeem she'd come back for me but I stay as still as possible and hear for any other sounds.

##PS Pls send char sheet again.....

________________________________________Tony
Well, when you move a bit to change position, you suddenly hear a hissing coming from behind you, near your head.

________________________________________
Garett
I make the listen roll. I figure the mud may be a little warmer ...
________________________________________
Tony
Okay, I take it you drowse a bit, in the mud and muck, try get some rest? Anyways, just do a listen roll

________________________________________
Garett
Yup.....
________________________________________
Tony
So you stick it out till sunrise in amongst the reeds

________________________________________
Garett
I think I'll take a bit of a breather for a couple of hours and shake the cobwebs loose. Natch I keep eyes and ears open in case I have to duck sharpish again. After that I skeem I'll do a bit of recon and see if I can head back in the direction I remember the arrows flying towards and see if I can pick up some tracks that I recognise and follow them. Perhaps there be something around the edge of the lake....

________________________________________
Tony
Roger roger.

Okay, once skirted around to the non active side, its pretty easy to make your way across the water and disappear into the dense long reeds. From all this action and anxiety, you are pretty fatigued BTW. what you gonna do?

There is a large swampy bit of reeds and very narrow waterways that you are on the border of. From prev recon you know that if you go on straight, you will eventually come to sturdier ground. It is facing northwest, which is totally in the opposite direction from where the attention is focused. It does not take a brain surgeon to guess whom the attention is focused against.

To the northeast the water opens up and spreads into a large shallow lake of putrid water, broken occasionally by the carcass of long dead willow trees. To the south is a river with a slow current, which will wind its way between some embankments before joining another river going east southeast.

________________________________________
Garett
I make the sneak roll. I'm keen to avoid this oke as I skeem he's obviously trying to figure out where the rest of the party is going and I don't want him knowing about me too.

________________________________________
Tony
As you prepare to hop down, you notice a ways along the wall is a human clad in black robes. Hi is glowing, seemingly from within and is busy shouting curses at someone/something unseen in the darkness.

You hop down the 15 odd meters and land with a small splash (I assume you prepared for the landing). Your plan's drawn no apparent attention and it is pretty easy to slid up to the base of the wall and skirt along it. I will however make you do a sneak x 3 roll just in case.

BTW, do you have Kevs Rune Quest generator, cause here is your sheet. Obvious it doesn't have any stats increases on it.....




________________________________________
Garett
Sweet. I skeem the archers are the defenses of the encampment and whatever they firing at is most likely where I want to be strangely enough. As quietly as I can so as not to make big target of myself I hop onto branch and out over the wall. I skeem it may be a better idea to circle round the direction of arrow fire and arrive there later and pick up tracks?
________________________________________
Tony
Well, you manage to lay hands on a leather scroll case that seems to have resisted the fire pretty well so far and a tome bound in what looks like a kind of wood, held together with bronze clamps. Out the window you quickly note (no scan req) that there are a number of archers firing away into the night. You are in a tree that is fast beginning to blaze above you. A thick branch extends from roughly below the window (a simple jump, no roll needed) will get you onto it and out over the wall.

Form appearances, it looks like you came up the middle of the tree trunk = tree most likely a spot rotted and is starting to really blaze. Its getting pretty hot, lucky you didn't have metal armour on.

________________________________________
Garett
Ja - I'm grabbing scrolls and peeking out window first. Safe to assume nothing there?
________________________________________
Tony
Well, in the possibility of being possesses stakes, you were lucky. Me active, you passive, I rolled an 87, missed you by 2 points. (Can choon now that you not the first, Skwib was totally possessed, just some lucky spell work by Asra saved his butt).


Okay, so I take it its scoop up some loot and dive through window?


________________________________________
Garett
oi....[ ed Ė at this point I rolled 52 ]


________________________________________
Tony
Bummer. You feel your contents being drawn in and a heavy weight pressing against your mind. Make a POW x 3 roll....

________________________________________
Garett

cha-ching [ ed - canít remember what I rolled here.]I have a vague idea it was in the forties somewhere. Wasnít a special roll so it doesnít really matter anyway.]


________________________________________
Tony
The heat coming from the mat is exceptional. Looking at it closer you note it is woven with pictures of bizarre beasts twirled around each other in impossible poses. Make a POW x 5 roll.

your POW is 12. Zipped is a dice roller app, hope it grafts



________________________________________
Garett
"hmmmmmm" mumbles Turf. This could be rewarding. I grab some scrolls which aren't burning with view to perhaps finding out more about their origin if I ever get to someone who can help. I keep out of view of the window for the time being while I gather my thoughts.

## player comment - That burning mat raises a question - as it would with any player##

Turf reckons there be more to the mat than meets the eye. Is there heat coming from it or is it merely the light?

________________________________________
Tony
Looks like a room. The top of the hold had a grate which has been pushed aside. The remains of a bookcase and desk full of books, scrolls and assorted paraphanalia are ablaze and so is a mat on the floor, which burns with a weird blue flame and does not appear to be getting consumed by the fire.

An open window shows a view of the outdoors. It appears that you are in the air, in a tree house of sorts.

________________________________________
Garett
I don't smaak flames and all. I'm a North-Ice orc. And then still flames most likely mean someone's watching. But as far as practicality goes I check it's the quickest way out most likely. I scramble up to just below the top keeping a keen eye out for anyone spying down the hole. I'm listening carefully....

________________________________________
Tony
Its pretty easy to fit through. Its like another pipe going up. Stone set in the walls at first, soon becomes wood, pretty easy to scramble up. The light gets more intense as you go up, soon enough you see its flames.

________________________________________
Garett
As quietly as I can in my state I check to see if I can fit through and if I can pick up any signs of activity on the outside?
________________________________________
Tony
There is only one way to go really, the grate you closed behind you is the start. Going down the pipe, some 20 meters down, you come to an opening in the top. Pipe continues, but if you look up you can see light.

________________________________________
Garett
Close my nose for starters. This place reeks of human filth. I don't know why we ever came after that arrogant Asra. Still, I'm more likely to find out when I'm no longer surrounding by incontinent turds #:-)

I check for the direction of the flow and check if I can hear anything. My initial plan is to go with the flow since it most likely leads away from the settlement...depends on whether or not I can hear anything. There surely can't be any living thing besides me down here.

________________________________________
Tony
HA HA, JA nee, thatís struth. So ja:

You are semi conscious, face down but reckon retain enough consciousness to flip over. When you wake you feel pretty disorientated. Its dark, smelly and wet. What do you do?

________________________________________
Garett
so I'm in the sh!t again :-)

________________________________________
Tony
So, when last we finished off you had entered the fort via the drain and secured Asra before slipping into the courtyard and smiting a few punters.
So last wed:
Asra insisted that she retrieve her pack for the other building. You entered and found a hold in the ground and a ladder. Descending you found yourselves in a wide passageway lit with lamps on chains. After a wee dab of scouting, Skwib and a human bumped into each other. Skwib quickly slew the human. (I have never seen one character roll so many impales in one session!)
Scouting further that way revealed the passage sloping down, getting wet and a closed door. The party turned back and checked the other way. Someone began calling for their friend (Now deceased) and before long there was a general fight in a guardroom. Someone escaped and went for help while the rest of you got stuck in. Once again Skwib whipped out some excellent impales. Asra scrounged around and found her pack - removed a wee box and stuffed it in her bodice before ducking down another passage. The optio (I forget his name) did some basic fighting and so did Turf. Turf was unfortunately knocked down during the fight. Anyways, reinforcements started to arrive and at the same time, Asra returned and shouted RUN! Seconds later a beast appeared and charged at the reinforcements. It had sickly looking, almost scaled skin, a beak like face and long clawed front arms.
The party did a runner and Asra led you back to the door, which was now open. Inside it was filthy, piles of dung and rotted gnawed bones - many human and lizard. After a brief search a manhole was found, leading into a near full sluice pipe. The party scurried down it with you last, replacing the manhole cover . Unfortunately for you, as you turned to follow you slipped in the effluent and knocked your head. The rest of the party didn't notice you as you fell unconsciousÖÖÖ.



 

Receivers email:



Your email:




 


| Printer-friendly page | Send this article to a friend |

Comment List


There are no comments.



For any questions or comments about this site,
contact the webmaster
www.runequest.za.org is hosted by
www.wack.co.za
W&C Information Consultants CC

Dial Direct Insurance


Forgot your password?

Register a new user
Gygax Magazine Issue 3 Out
( 18.12.2013 13:32 )

Read more

Results

Polls

Main - Rune Quest

House Rules

Gaea

RE: Runequest people

RE: Runequest people

Runequest people

Primitive Cultures

Comments on Articles

Printable page


 

Powered by eZ publish