Message view

Categories Discussion Main - Rune Quest

martial arts

Author:

Bjorn Are Stolen

Time:

06.02.2003 19:52

Text:

Since thie last discussion, I've been altering the Martial arts skill to make it fit into my wiev of how it should fit. As written previously, I think that martial arts is about knowing how to fight in general, and it don't only work for eastern martial arts. I let the rule about it causing extra effect when you roll lower then both skills stand, but I'm widening it's use: Instead of just letting it apply to unarmed combat, I let it work for all kind of fighting. It can work on both attacks, dodges and parries.

If you roll lower than the MA skill, but fail the weapons test, your general expertise kicks in and saves the day, and the situation is solved as if the weapon skill succeeded. If you roll lower than both the MA skill and the weapon skill, you apply a table where several types of advantages are listed, such as Extra action, more damage, good line-up for next round, getting a grapple lock on the opponent, disarming him, unbalancing him, etc. All outcomes have a "defencive twin" that counts if it was a defensive move you succeeded in.

"The suggestion of allowing martial arts to increase you parry seems counter intuitive. Parry with each type of weapon is a different skill. "
-wrong.

"Simply because you know how to parry with a sword does not mean it would translate to a fist parry. In fact it may be a hindrance. With a sword you have fewer qualms of parry another sword blade then parrying with your fore-arm. "

-I disagree. My arguments are that of the deflection's role in parrying. I've written a lot about it somewhere else on this site. Someone doing karatedeflections for 10 years would be much better at parrying with a sword than someone that have wathced soccermaches on TV the same time, simply because the karatedude have gained some general knowledge in the art of fighting (martial arts)

Message threads

Topic: Author:
Time:
Message  martial arts
Bjorn Are Stolen 06.02.2003 19:52  
Message    RE: martial arts
Tom Cantine 08.02.2003 04:36  
Message      RE: martial arts
Bjorn Are Stolen 08.02.2003 17:00  
Message        RE: martial arts
Peter Beirne 12.02.2003 20:33  
Message          RE: martial arts